This tour is suitable for children of age 4 and up.
Bats are everywhere, they are all over the world. Over 1,200 species of bat are known to science, with
more species being added on a regular basis. The order of bats is the most varied order of all mammals, making
up about 20% of all mammal species.
Tonight we're going on a nighttime adventure to look for bats around Hok Tau reservoir and the Sha Lo Tung
abandoned village. A special bat detector will help us find these elusive creatures, as this device helps to
listen in to their echolocation calls. Other typical nighttime critters include various insects, and with a little
luck we run into various other animals including toads and frogs, and maybe even a snake or a porcupine.
Near the end of the tour we end up at a great viewpoint overlooking Tai Po and Tolo Harbour, where we can see
all the lights of the highrises and the industrial estate. Weather permitting we even get to see Ma On Shan district
across Tolo Harbour.
This tour takes in total about 3 1/2 hours fo which about 2 1/2 hours on trail. The terrain includes service
roads, paved footpaths and well maintained dirt paths. Total about 6 km walk, with 200m of elevation changes.
- Meet up at Fanling MTR station - time varies according to the season.
- Take minibus or taxi to the start of the walk near Hok Tau village.
- Walk up the service road to the reservoir, an area with many bats.
- Around the reservoir and through the dark forest to the abandoned village of Sha Lo Tung.
- See the lights of Tai Po town and the industrial estate before walking down to Fung Yuen.
- Minibus from Fung Yuen back to Tai Po Market MTR station.
If you're driving: best park your car near Tai Po Market MTR station (easy to get to by minibus from the end
point), and then take the MTR two stops to Fanling to meet the rest of the group.